So I've started expanding the options for the pots - I guess I can't really call them kusamono pots anymore, because I'm now making them much larger than a standard kusamono, so simply 'pots' will have to do until I come up with a better name.
I love the iron/manganese wash that I've been using up till now, it works wonderfully with the ancient designs and I'll continue to produce pots using this clay and finish. However, I wanted a couple of different options to give everyone a bit of variety.
Having just emptied the kiln of the latest batch, I can now show you what some examples look like. 🙂
Here are three in the Black & Gold style. The same materials and method used for my standard Black & Gold carvings range, but now in pot-form.
The new high-fire terracotta. I felt that the bare clay didn't show the designs quite well enough on its own, so I've added a finishing wax to highlight the areas of raised detail. I very much like the effect, as it looks as if it's been scorched or burnt somehow.
This is me learning that the high-fire terracotta isn't actually that high-fire. The three above were from a previous firing, but these two were accidentally fired up to my old gloss temperature, rather than adjusted down to suit the new clay. Bit of a difference that 50C can make! I don't dislike them, but I would prefer the richness that comes from the traditional terracotta red. They've been given the same wax treatment as above.
This is the over-fired terracotta with the iron/manganese wash finish. I'm expecting stronger red tones when I put the next batch through (and keep the temperature to what they should be). Even so, I think these are showing a lot of potential and I'm happy with the results.
These should be hitting the eBay store shortly. 😊